Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Haibun


FINDERS KEEPERS 

 

 

Early dusk in mid-autumn. The air is scented with damp earth and fermenting leaves. I’m on a walk in my neighborhood. As there are no sidewalks, I walk in the road, staying close to the brush, the weeds and dirt and. . . apples. Apples?  I look up. An apple tree. Here. In a suburb of New York City. The ground is covered with them. They are pitted and bruised and have  soft spots, but I gather up as many as my pockets and hands can hold, feeling like I did when as a child I found a penny on the sidewalk.

 

wind-fall apples

cutting out the bad parts

to make applesauce;

if time spent were money

I couldn’t afford a jar


Contemporary Haibun Online

 

 

3 comments:

Magyar said...

within this star's glow
apples richness from our sun
tomorrow's harvest


Another day's light; smiles! _m

Magyar said...


songs of daily breeze
each apple shines in soft wind
the sun's ripened glow

_m

Adelaide said...

Beautiful Doug
Thank you

Adelaide

Haig

Haiga: Black & White