Monday, February 8, 2010

SUNDAY MORNING WITH DAD


I'm a young child–five years old, six, seven. My sister, two years older. It is mid-winter, high summer, any and all seasons. We wait with Dad on the corner for the trolley. My sister and I in our best dresses. Dad in a suit.

We get off in the center of town at The Green. Dad buys peanuts. Some for us, some for the pigeons. We chase them. Dad attracts them. They land on his hat, his shoulder. They eat out of his hand.

tower bells-
pigeons ride
the vibrations

Dad is soon joined by other men, other custom tailors for "shop talk." These other tailors leave their children at home. A few hours of escape, peace. Not Dad. Proud and pleased he is. Our clean faces and healthy bodies. Our freshly pressed clothes sewn by Mom, our smart coats tailored by his hands. Having married late, at age 45, he likes to show off his young daughters. Most of the time we oblige, knowing there may be a stop at Clark's Dairy Bar before going home.

sun on her face
the little girl sneezes
at the tall stranger

Presence, winter 2010

11 comments:

Devika Jyothi said...

Very interesting read, Adelaide :)

wishes,
devika

Adelaide said...

Thanks, Devika.
Adelaide

Kristin Riggs said...

I absolutely love this sweet scene you've painted...lovely! Perfectly crafted haibun. :) Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog, too!
-Kristin

Adelaide said...

Thank you,Kristin, and you're welcome.

Adelaide

Gillena Cox said...

lovely haibun

Adelaide said...

Thank you, Gillena. I envy you the warm weather your have.

Adelaide

T.Migratorius said...

What a beautiful memory.

Mary Lou Watkins said...

Your haibun brings back beautiful memories.
Thank You
MaryLou

Adelaide said...

I'm just glad my memory can still see details of so many years ago.

Adelaide

Emma Dalloway said...

Adelaide, this is just perfect.

The prose delightful, the first haiku a will forever make me look at the flight of pigeons differently, and the second took me by surprise and left me laughing.

One of the best haibun Ive read in a long while.

Adelaide said...

Thank you, Emma. Always happy to have you visit.

Adelaide